We love wool. Wool blankets, wool scarves, woolly sheep... we can't stop shouting about all the wonderful benefits of wool.
Why do we love wool?
- 100% natural
- Renewable and sustainable
- Temperature regulating (keeping you warm in the winter and cool in the summer)
- Odour resistant
- Easy to take care of
- So cosy
To be honest, we could go on and on. In fact, we have!
What is Wool Week?
This year, the Campaign for Wool celebrates its 8th annual Wool Week. A single week is hardly enough time to celebrate, so Wool Week 2017 actually runs for 16 days: from 7 to 22 October.
Wool Week is a time to celebrate and to educate. Across the UK and Commonwealth countries, groups and businesses are hosting workshops, exhibitions, talks and other special events, all revolving around wool and its benefits.
What did we do to celebrate in Wool Week?
At The Tartan Blanket Co., we never miss an opportunity to celebrate. In honour of Wool Week, on Sunday, 8 October we hosted a 'Wine and Weave' workshop in our Edinburgh HQ.
The darling Sarah from Squid Ink Co. in Glasgow popped by to teach some lovely ladies how to weave their very own wall hanging. Assisted with glasses of wine and handfuls of sweet treats, we wrapped up in knee blankets to learn the basics of weaving by flickering candlelight.
After just two hours of weaving, our wall hangings were coming along nicely - have a look for yourself!
How can you take part in Wool Week?
Another great way to celebrate is to try your hand at some woolly crafts. Here are our suggestions:
- Try arm knitting! Using bulky yarn and your arms as needles, you can hand knit an entire blanket in just 30 minutes. Find out how here.
- Make your own pom-poms for hats, ornaments, or whatever your heart fancies! You can even make a full rainbow of them for a DIY pom-pom chandelier.
- Crochet your very own pouch for pens, pencils, or makeup brushes with this free pattern.
- Experiment with natural dying to give your wool yarn a unique colour.
How are you celebrating Wool Week? Let us know in the comments below!
Want info like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up to our newsletter for all the latest TBCo. content and news.